Monday, April 9, 2007

Oh the humanity!

"Fighting" a war from the staff is quite different than actually being on the battlefield. We have different things than bullets that we have to dodge. Around the office, what I try to dodge most of the time around here is email! My inbox is never empty. I normally average anywhere between 80 to 100 emails a day. For example, I left the office last night at about 10:00 pm. When I got into the office this morning at 8:30 am, I already had 15 emails waiting for me. Granted, most of these emails are informational only. I still have to read them all, glean the information out of them to see if they are relevant, then spread that information and file the emails and attached reports. It eats up much of my already long day.

The rest of my job isn't that bad. I spent a good deal of time with scheduling. I am responsible for the headquarters schedule. That's all the meetings and the watchbill. I also schedule all our VTCs (Video Teleconferences). That requires two things. Reserving the room and requesting the bandwidth so that we can have the VTC. The worst part of that is the constant changes to the schedule.

We are also very involved in the Electronic Warfare targeting process. We sift through the intel to see what the enemy is using to kill our troops and develop counters against that. Then, of course, the enemy shifts and we have to counter that. A never ending game of chess. I will say this about who we are fighting. They are smart, which makes our job tough. I think we're up to it. We've got a smart bunch of guys here with lots of Electronic Warfare experience.

But mainly, I'm the guy behind the scenes that makes the headquarters look as if it runs smoothly. It's a very challenging and rewarding job. I'm still having fun over here.

No comments: