Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. I know that most of you will probably be enjoying the day off from work and will be gathered together with friends and family and enjoying some recreation. I truly hope you have a great time. As you are celebrating, though, please remember what this day is really about. Honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to bring us all the freedom to enjoy a day off with family and friends. Throughout this country's history, many have made that sacrifice. Let's not forget them.


Spend a little time today and reflect on what they sacrificed for. Offer a prayer of thanks for the freedoms they ensured for you. For me, I figured the best way for me to honor them, given the circumstances, was to get up, come in to work, and continue the fight (albeit from behind a computer) that we are currently engaged in. It's not much, but it's the best I can do. Each day I get to my desk and read through the daily intelligence summaries and various "roundup" of yesterday's events. Every day I get to read of the killed and wounded, the bombs and the gunfire that have taken some more courageous soldiers. It isn't pleasant but it's a part of fighting this war against the terrorists. It's going to be a long war and it's going to take more lives to solidify the safety of our country. Many wonder what this war in Iraq has to do with securing our own country. It is all related to the war that was declared on our country on September 11, 2001. A lot of those bearing the brunt of the fighting over here are the young kids. Those that enlisted after 9-11. They joined knowing what they were fighting for. They are true heroes.


Today, besides honoring just those that have fallen, I also want to honor some who served with honor. First of all my Dad. Dad flew for the Air Force for twenty years. Flew a year in Vietnam as a Forward Air Controller. I learned a lot from him. He was, and is, a great example to me. Also my Grandfather. My Dad's Dad. I never knew him, he passed away before I got the chance. But I do have a picture of him hanging in my front hall, in his uniform from World War II. Though I never knew him I knew that he had served his country during wartime. Both men made an impression on me and as I serve, I try to live up to their great examples. Thank you both.


Once again, please enjoy this Memorial Day. Remember those that have served and who are serving now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are MY hero!

Melissa Ortolani Purser said...

You're my hero too. I love you and thank you for all you do for me and this country.

Melissa Ortolani Purser said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trinbean said...

Hi UNCLE DAVE, it is Trina, Mike Eyres wife....I don't know if you remember me?? I just wanted to say "THANKS" for being so courageous and fighting for our country. You are a hero to many people including me. THANKS for all the sacrifices you make for us, and thanks to aunt Cindy and Melissa for all the sacrifices you guys make as well. You are all in our prayers.

GiGi in Austin said...

Dearest Nephew,
You are right! You did have two great examples of heros in the family but now you are our HERO and an example to all the other young men coming up thru the generations. We love you in Texas, love your blog and keep you in our prayers.
Aunt Pat