Thursday, May 31, 2007

Baghdad Scenes

I was thinking one day and decided that many of you might want to know what Baghdad itself looks like, instead of just the pictures of the base that I've posted so far. So, I have a few pictures of Baghdad that I'll post here. Hopefully ya'll will enjoy them.
This is a picture of part of the wall surrounding a base, along with a guard tower. It's wall's like these that separate us from the city of Baghdad.

This picture shows what the city looks like from the air. Not a lot of color is there? The houses and the roads and the dirt and the mud all seem to be the same color. I suppose it's easier that way. Doesn't make for much variety though.

This is a typical neighborhood. Not a lot of backyard space for a trampoline and a barbecue is there? Not much like it is back home.

Let's just say that used cars in Baghdad are not as in the sort of condition that you can usually find back in the States. Not really a lot left of this one.


Above are the famous crossed swords in the International Zone of the city. It's a parade ground lined with the helmets of Iranians captured during the war. The helmets are put in the ground so that the Iraqi soldiers would be walking or driving over the helmets of their enemies. Interesting symbology don't you think?

And last but not least, we have what's left of a couple of statues of Saddam. Like most dictators, he had statues of himself and his picture everywhere. What is it about dictators that they have to have their image absolutely everywhere? Must be an ego thing. I hope ya'll enjoyed this short tour of some of the city of Baghdad.

4 comments:

Jen said...

thanks for posting those pics! Definitely a lot different then over here. Keep up the good work! Stay safe! We love you!

Melissa Ortolani Purser said...

Wow dad, thats really interesting. I liked the pictures a lot. I wish I could see first-hand what its like over there....but then again, I'm glad I haven't. Stay safe! I love you.

Jodi said...

I'd call the BBB on the dealer that sold them that car. and as far as the no trampoline goes, how do they survive.. No seriously I loved the pictures. That is so interesting what a cultural difference there is. Could you imagine what they would think on a visit to the USA. We are surely spoiled. Thats what we are fighting for right. Our trampolines and our SUV's and our yellow houses. THANKS!! What Awesome sacrifices you are all making. I am very proud of you.

Trinbean said...

wow thanks for sharing the pics, they are very interesting. Thanks again for all you do and stay safe!!!