Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

I know it's been a long time since I've posted here. It's been a busy time for me, plus I'm beginning to get that "short timer's" fever. My replacement gets here next week and we will be starting our turn over the week after that. Light at the end of the tunnel. So, it's been a while since I've updated this and I apologize for that.

I would like to wish all my friends, family and countrymen a happy Independence Day. What a great thing we celebrate this day. The founding of our country. I personally like to look at this day as another Thanksgiving day. A time to reflect and think of all that living in the United States gives to me. The freedoms and security afforded to us in this country. I hope as you are all enjoying the barbecues and fireworks that you take a minute (just a minute, have a good time today) to think about what we really have in our country.

Over here in Baghdad, July 4th is just another day. We are all at work and are attending our regular meetings. I do plan on having a hot dog and cheeseburger at the chow hall for lunch today, but we're hoping there won't be any "fireworks". I did get to see some very impressive sights the last two days. Yesterday, 3 July, there were a couple hundred troops who, due to their service in our military, we becoming naturalized citizens. Very cool. And this morning, on my way to a morning meeting at the palace, there were 500 troops all standing and raising their right hands and re-enlisting. 500 troops on one day, in a war zone, re-enlisting. Very impressive.

Have a great day. Have a burger and some potato salad for me!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

THOSE would have been some great pictures. Where was your camera?
Love you!

Melissa Ortolani Purser said...

Seriously dad...where was your camera?

Melissa Ortolani Purser said...

Seriously dad, where was your camera?

Trinbean said...

It was funny, I was at the baseball game on the 4th of july and after the game there was a firework show....the song "I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN" of course came on and I just lost it....I started crying and was thinking how lucky we are to have guys like you over at Iraq defending our country....I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work. Thank you aunt Cindy and Melissa again for all the sacrifices you make having uncle Dave over in Iraq.....LOVE YOU!!!!