Thursday, June 14, 2007

And the war continues

WHAM!!!! What was that? I look at the clock and it's 5:00 am (that's 0500 for you military types). Shaken from my deep sleep by what feels like the trailer bouncing off it's foundation. WHAM! again! It all sounds much closer than it's ever sounded before. WHAM, again, another one! OK, this is just a little too close for comfort. I pull myself out of bed and take a peek outside the door. Looking for the usual; smoke, fire, big holes where buildings used to be. Don't see anything and it seems kind of quiet, except for the birds chirping. The war doesn't seem to be bothering them at all. So, I crawl back in bed, and just before I'm about asleep again. Wham! Wham!! They sounded a little further away this time, so I just stay where I am and think to myself, "Would someone just go out and kill those guys, I'm trying to get some sleep!" Apparently they did, or the bad guys ran out of rockets because it stays quiet and I'm able to drift back to sleep for a couple of hours. In the "morning" after I woke up, I went for my daily run. I kept my eyes open, looking to see where the rounds might have hit. Didn't see anything in my little "neighborhood", so I don't know where they shots were fired.

This is beginning to be something of a normal occurrence around here. More so than it used to be. It seems as if lately the enemy is really pushing back hard. Just a day or two ago (not sure, because every day is Tuesday!) there were four rockets that hit rather close to the office. Really shook the place up. And maybe it's just my imagination, and this is all strictly conjecture on my part, but it seems as though the bad guys are pushing back against the surge. Maybe they know that if they start causing more destruction, maybe some more casualties, then the "Blame America first, let's capitulate to the enemy as fast as we can and maybe they'll start being nice to us" contingent in Congress might work harder to help them win this war. The enemy understands, I believe, that the Reid's and Pelosi's in this country are looking for anything they can get to convince the rest of us that losing this war is our only option. I think that the enemy also understands that getting Congress to force us out of Iraq is their only option for success. General Petraeus literally wrote the book on counter-insurgency warfare, has experience in this theater and has a good plan in place to stabilize the situation. The enemy understands this and knows they can't win against us militarily. So, they will win on the home front (sound familiar?). It's the same story as the 1960s and, again, the liberals in this country can't do enough to make sure we lose again.

OK, I went on a little rant with that. Sorry, sometimes I get sidetracked. But things are happening over here that point to some good things on the horizon. They aren't going to happen over night, and there will be some blood spilled on the way, sorry to say. But, I believe that if we're not turning the corner yet, the corner is in sight and we've got the turn signal on. Again, this is just my opinion based on what I'm observing over here. Anyway, as my rude morning wake up shows, the war is continuing, and we are continuing to take the fight to the enemy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your dad will confirm your link of Iraq to Vietnam. We were wondering last night at dinner when you'd be back. Your Aunt Pat (my mother in law) was saying it would be good to see you. Maybe y'all could come here (Austin), and talk your folks into coming here, and have an impromptu reunion? Trish hasn't seen you since the last big reunion, and I've never gotten to meet you!

Anonymous said...

I hated that report. (Too close for my comfort). You have to stay safe. I hope you get a good night sleep for many nights to come.
Love ya forever!
Kathy